More things to do/take notice of:
June 1- July 13 — All DayFund raiser:
Coleman Observatory, 8 miles NW of Van Buren, ARContact:
- To raise funds for AOAS. One ticket $5; $20/five tickets.
June 28-July 1 — 11am & 2 pm daily
Event : Execution Anniversaries
Location: Fort Smith Historic Site
- Ranger led programs on the anniversary dates of executions carried out by the federal court from 1873-1896.
July 3 — Noon-Fireworks
Event : Alma July 3rd Celebration
Location: Alma City Park
- Pool opens at noon. Swimming until midnight. Fireworks at dusk.
- There is pool admission.
July 4 — 10am & 1pm
Workshop: 4th of July Celebrations in 19th Century Fort Smith
Location: Fort Smith National Historic Site
Contact: (479)783-3961, www.nps.gov/fosm/
- Children ages 5 & up will sing, give speeches, participate in patriotic parade.
July 4 — starts 2pm
Event : Fort Smith 4th of July Celebration
Location: Harry E. Kelley Park & Various Venues
Contact: (479)784-1001 or (479)783-8888
- 2pm - Antique Car show - Pendergraft Par, 3rd & Garrison.
- 5pm - Family Fun Festival begins at River Park Glass Pavilion and Compass Park.5pm Crowd Gathering at 2nd & Garrison for the Great American Race OG & E displays a Segway and an Electric Car.5:45pm - Festivities begin for Great Race, 2nd & Garrison.5:57pm - The Riverblenders Barber Shop Chorus, Great Race Stage, 2nd & Garrison.
- 6pm- First Car in the Great American Race comes through the finish line at2nd & Garrison. Visit with drivers/navigators & view their cars up close at 2nd & Garrison parking lot until 8:30pm.
- 7pm - Festivities for the Mayor's 4th of July Celebration begins at River Park & Harry E.Kelley Stage featuring Mr. CabbageHead & the Screaming Radishes.7:30pm Historic re-enactment Troup "The Border Town Legends" perform a mock shootout at 2nd & Garrison.7:50pm - Welcoming the Great American Race to Fort Smith by Mayor Ray Baker, Great Race Stage, 2nd & Garrison.
- 8pm - Awards Presentation to the Great Race Daily winners, 2nd & Garrison.8:15pm - River Valley Community Band under the direction of Chuck Booker, Harry E. Kelley Stage.Approx. 9pm - Fireworks Spectacular followed by Mr. Cabbage Head and the Screaming Radishes, Harry E. Kelley Stage.